Monday, November 05, 2012

Yay! A "B" Size Printer I Can Afford


 
Having used drawing programs for a large part of my working life, now that I'm retired I'm still doing lots of drawings, both architectural and engineering, but constantly face the problem of having a decent sized printout.

I have a Hewlett Packard 7585B  8 pin A-E plotter stuffed away in the garage, but it's as ancient as I am, and finding the ink pens for it is just about impossible. I don't think my Autocad 2013 package (a fabulous Christmas present from my son) even has  drivers for it, and I haven't been able to find information on how to modify the cabling to adapt it to the newer computers. So it's basically a boat anchor I haven't got the heart to toss out.

Most modern ink jet printers can  print both letter(8.5 x 11) and legal(8.5 x 14) sized documents, but they are just not, well, professional enough looking for either architectural or engineering drawings.

But B sized? Totally acceptable.

Problem up to now is that any unit that could handle B sized paper(11 x 17) was/is out of my justifiable price range.  True,  just like any other credit-card-carrying American, I could whip out the plastic and buy any fancy new plotter or printer on the market... if I lost my marbles and wanted to pay for it for the next ten years.

A local business retail outlet store that sells all manner of printers decided their stock of B size printers were not popular and not moving, so they decided to shove them out the door at fabulously low prices. I walked in at just the right time and became the owner of a  major brand name printer that has the affordability I need with the quality required to be professionally acceptable.

I even got a 36-month total coverage insurance policy for repair or replacement in the deal for about a dollar a month.

Now I need to get busy and do something "professional".  My other blog, THE IRON HORSE (http://theironhorse.blogspot.com/),  has some of the drawings I've been working on.

No comments: