Saturday, March 15, 2008

Anybody Know The Answer?

I'm trying to figure this one out...

I have a monthly mortgage payment on our house, a 30-year fixed rate mortgage.

However, what with the continuing loss of value on the dollar, the appraised value of the house will keep going up to match this loss of dollar value. I can easily see the house being re-appraised - soon - at 2 or 3 times it's purchase price. Naturally, property taxes will increase accordingly, those taxes being the very reason it will soon be re-appraised.

Sounds good to some people. They believe they are actually making money in such a situation, which they are not. If I sell my $100,000 house for $300,000, a new house(same size, same real value) will cost that $300,000 and more, when the cost is adjusted for the increase in everything, including realtor fees, closing costs, etc.

Sooner or later, the mortgage company will realize that the dollars I'm paying my payments with are not worth the paper they are printed on, and will want to "adjust" the payments to reflect this new reality.

Will they be able to do that? Will the government allow them to that?

Since I am on a fixed retirement income which does not increase to match the increasing decline of the dollar, the answer to that question will determine whether I keep this place, or bail before I get hammered.

No comments: