Monday, October 15, 2012

833MPH, Straight Down

 
 
Jump into nothing from 128,100 feet. Now that takes guts! 

Felix Baumgartner jumped from the opened hatch of his capsule suspended 128,100 feet above Earth. Twenty four miles below him, millions of people were right there with him, watching on the Internet and crossing their fingers.

I was one of the more than 8 million people who watched this event live on the Internet.  Watching it live made me feel is if I was almost a part of the adventure and brought back many of the feelings of excitement and pride I used to feel during my Apollo days.

This jump, taking almost five years of planing and practice, broke many standing records for what can only be the ultimate in high-altitude sky diving.

The only hitch they encountered was that his visor fogged up a bit. Not bad - not bad at all - for a major effort by private enterprise.

I noted that  the Red Bull energy drink folks did a lot of sponsoring during the jump. Kudos for them. I'll buy a couple cans... even if I never need them.

No comments: