Sunday, August 09, 2009

Enough

I have been blogging since February 18, 2006. During that time I have posted 1,205 articles and have had 11,112 visitors.

This is the 1,206th post and probably the first not to complain about some particular political chicanery being foisted on the American people.

Blogging on a daily basis takes a lot of effort and research. I tried to always point to a supporting article for any subject I was blogging on, rather than just blow off my personal opinion. But since I started, it seems nothing has gotten better... nothing, so it seems all I do lately is comment about the same insanity over and over.

I have noted that most Americans just don't give a damn what's happening to their country, and those few that do are now being maligned and attacked by the President and the Congress, being called conspirators, quacks, nutjobs, you name it. Some are even getting death threats.

I can foresee a future in the United States where bloggers such as I, who disagree with the Obamas of the world, will be getting that knock on the door one fine day.

It's becoming hardly worth it to keep on keeping on. The decision to take down the blog has not yet been made since I may - from time to time - post an entry, just to blow off steam.

4 comments:

Master Doh-San said...

"Never give in. Never give in. Never." -- Churchill

craftycorner said...

There are rebellions in the country. Quiet unlike the 1960's, but there nonetheless. They are as real as the gardens planted by Americans this spring.

Anonymous said...

I agree that the issues that you cover seem to be 'out of sight' for many Americans, but I disagree with your conclusion that those people just don't care.

I don't agree with everything you say (the "Kenyan" jibe, for example), but I respect your decision to do it, and the passion and skill of the delivery. If it weren't for you, I would have a less developed view of the extent of corruption in our government. So, thanks for that, Bob.

That said, I can't escape the next logical question: what can I do about it? Voting seems pointless. Especially so when I don't have the time (or personal interest in politics/history) to responsibly research each and every facet of each and every opportunity that's available to me for playing the role I was meant to play in our government. Voting without researching is just plain stupid.

And ultimately it seems that, as you've said, no matter how much I engage myself, I'm just voting for one douchebag or half-baked plan over another. It all just seems so futile sometimes. No matter how bad I'd like someone responsible and trustworthy in each and every government office, it's just not going to happen - ever. And I'd be willing to bet that it never *has* happened. And if it did, would I even know it? I have no concept of what a country would be like if the level of political bullshit were brought down to an acceptable level. And that leads me to question further whether it's worth the effort or not.

In other words, suppose that we could find no fault with the people who are charged with running our country. What would be different? And is it even reasonable to expect to find that many faultless people? (When I say 'faultless', I don't mean it literally, of course. It's more like: "below the threshold of fault magnitude that matters on the level of national government." It's okay to be a rude asshole (arguably, a fault), but not okay to lie to the public.)

As a side note, I'd like to say that I find most mainstream news media outlets (FOX, CNN, etc) to be the most repugnant part of this whole situation. I seriously can't watch it without feeling angry.

Anyway, rest assured that there will be some of us watching for you to pop up on the RSS feeds :)

Anonymous said...

I have done something about it:
Since the president appears to have his agenda, and Congress is not listening to the people, I stocked up on non-perishable food and ammunition.
It's not gonna be too long before it's needed.

Ted Amadeus (Posting from POS Dell comp @ work on lunch)