Monday, August 03, 2009

Cash For Clunkers

I've been watching those TV news spots showing all those clinkers being traded in, and you know what? There is not very many "clunkers" at all.

A whole bunch of them are better and newer cars than what I am driving today. Late model SUV's, pickup trucks, you name it.

So whats going on here?

People that were already about to buy a new car anyway - those advantaged folks that buy a new car every three or four years - are taking advantage of a $4.500 taxpayer giveaway and buying now.

And those trade-ins? Those perfectly good late model vehicles that have nothing against them other than being slightly used? they are going to be smashed up, ground into slivers.

That sort of pisses me off. I could certainly use one of those late-model pickup trucks, gas guzzler or not. Being retired, I don't drive that much anyway, so my so-called carbon footprint is pretty small, and the few additional miles I would drive in a used pickup wouldn't make much difference.

We are - once again - being so screwed by this government.

1 comment:

TheWayfarer said...

Everybody's talking about this bullshit....Sounds real good, ends really bad. My truck is worth about $500 when the gas tank is full and with my tools in it. If I take that $4500 government BRIBE and get a newer, mostly-plastic POS with it, who do I have to thank? Not myself for working hard and smart, or The Lord for the opportunity, the politrickster(s) that arranged the bribe...And they own "my" new rig.
Screw that!!!