Sunday, June 28, 2009

1 Terrabyte

Costco is advertising a computer with an Intel Q8200 processor running at 2.33 GHz, 4gig of memory and a 1TB hard drive, all for $499.99.

I don't know about you, but I can't seem to gey my head around the idea of a machine with 1 Terrabyte of mass storage on my desktop.

Seems like yesterday I was getting my first hard drive - a Seagate ST-225 with 25Megs of storage. It cost almost $800.00 just for the drive. I also had 640K ram at a cost of around $700.00.

I remember Bill Gates telling averybody the reason he maxed out his software for ram at 640K... Nobody will ever need more than 640K ram.

They were saying the same thing about a 25Meg hard drive... Who would ever need it?

3 comments:

TheWayfarer said...

I have every confidence Microsoft will release an even more RAM-hungry, bug-infested, hard-drive-space consuming, grossly inefficient monster than Vista that will chew that machine up.
BTW, if it's an e-machine, Dell or Compaq, don't waste your credit card space. We're talking CAFPOS, and there's no way to pick up one of those turds by the "clean" end!

Bob said...

Well Galt...

Tell us how you really feel about Vista... LOL

I can't, because I made the decision when I started this blog not to use foul language.

craftycorner said...

One can always make the decision to buy a 'bare bones' computer and customize what you put on it software wise (meaning operating system) which means bare minimum crap-ware. Some of those bare bones models are sweet, you can pick and choose the quality and quantity of the hardware you want inside and outside. It means some assembly, or if you are tech illiterate, you can ask a friend or take it to a tech you trust to assemble it for a fee. All and all, still a money saver.