Saturday, October 11, 2008

So Who Needs A Security Clearance Anyway?

Apparently not Barak Obama.

Here's what one letter writer discussed in a note to WND:
If I applied for a position with the federal government requiring any type of security clearance, my history would be scrupulously investigated by the FBI. Every relationship I had in my past would be examined for any hint of anti-Americanism. With Barack Obama's questionable past relationships with the likes of anti-Americans such as William Ayres, Rev. Wright and Louis Farrakhan, there would be no question of denied security clearance. How, then, can Obama even be considered for the highest security job in the United States of America?
In my working days, I had several positions that required some pretty heavy-duty security clearances.

I remember one incident like it happened yesterday.

I was working at PMR, the Pacific Missile Range, when one fine day I was called into the bosses office and told to report to the Pt. Mugu security office. When I got there, the security "officer" asked me about a girl I was going with. Once I acknowledged I was dating the girl, he told me to stop... period. I replied it was none of his damned business who I was dating. He told me, fine, just keep dating her, but we'll have to yank your security clearance.

That - of course - meant losing my job also. In the missile business, no security clearance = no job. There were lots of pretty, datable girls in southern California - probably still are - so I agreed to stop dating this one. Then I asked why they were doing this sort of thing.

Turns out this gal went to a huge party in Los Angeles - pretty girls do get invited to such things - and a couple of anti-war style activists were there also. That was enough for the security boys. Did she have any connection whatever with them? They had no idea, but it just didn't matter. What was her background? She was a waitress - a damn good one - at one of Ventura's finest steakhouses, met a lot of people, got invited to a lot of parties, even occasionally dated a guy like me. Yessir... A real Mata Hari.

I guess if I had been running for a high office I could have kept dating this gal.

No comments: